“If we fill our minds with all these untrue stories, such as witches and wizards, pretty soon we’ll believe in them more than in the power of Jesus.”
Published on: 10-28-2020
Memory Gem: “So if you eat, or if you drink, or if you do anything, do everything for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31, ICB).
Hey, guys, have you seen the latest Harry Potter movie?” asked Zach excitedly. “It’s really amazing how those weird creatures can fly!”
“What’s the title?” Jamie and Jeannie shouted simultaneously. “Maybe we should watch it too.”
“I think we should be careful what we watch.” Brian cautioned his friends. “Creatures that fly and do fantastic tricks aren’t real.”
“It’s just for fun and excitement,” said Zach. “You have to be imaginative, eh?” he said with a wink.
“Did your mom say you couldn’t watch these movies?” asked Jeannie curiously.
“Yes, but it’s not just Mom; it’s from the Bible!” explained Brian firmly. “If we fill our minds with all these untrue stories, such as witches and wizards, pretty soon we’ll believe in them more than in the power of Jesus.”
“I think Brian is right! In the Bible, Paul said somewhere in Corinthians that what we watch, read, or do, we must do it to honor Jesus,” said Jamie. “Let’s look it up.”
“I know that, friends,” Zach nodded in agreement. “These fantasy movies get you hooked, then you can’t stop watching them.”
“OK, let’s pray for each other that we choose to read good books, watch good movies, and play wholesome computer games to honor Jesus!” the four friends said in unison.
DIVE IN DEEP
• What does it mean to “do everything” to honor God (1 Corinthians 10:31)? Can you identify some of those things?
• Is it easy to practice a good Christian lifestyle in your home, school, or church community?
• What did the apostle Paul mean when he asked us to put on “the full armor of God” (Ephesians 6:10-18)?
LIVE IT OUT
• Have a summer room cleanup day. Get rid of all the videos, books, CDs, etc. that aren’t helping you in your Christian life.
• Work together with two or three friends to list the good video games, good books, and good TV programs that are safe to watch. Then pray together, asking God to help you make wise choices.