In helping our kids keep the balance in a digital world, lead by example
The authors of our cover feature all present different facets of raising children in an increasingly digital world. We’ve culled together a few of their tips. While much good has come from advances in technology, there are also perils. There are things as parents, grandparents, guardians, and educators we can employ to help our children find a healthy balance with regard to technology and a prevalent digital landscape. Here are some quick tips to start with.
• Think about what the greatest influence on your child is and what is shaping them. Choose media use wisely based on these values.
• When exposing children to technology, keep in mind that parents and caregivers are their best role models and examples.
• Instead of screen-time babysitting, find ways to stop and spend time that kids so richly deserve.
• Be intentional: think about how certain uses of technology guide our children toward developing the fruit of the Spirit. And yes, you can find things on the Internet that can help you with that. So be selective and dig deep.
• It is OK for our children to have moments of boredom. Creativity is cultivated when kids have to find ways to entertain themselves with whatever is around. It can be done!